Researching the social theme of your song involves a few parts. The Internet provides great resources for finding the information you are looking for!
What do you need to find?
- Lyrics to a song
- Information on a cultural theme
- History of a musical genre
- Sheet Music Online – Allows you to select from a list of artists or to browse by genre. Lyrics and sheet music are both available for modern, popular musicians.
- American Popular Music Before 1900– Kingwood College Library provides lyrics to songs from earlier than 1900, as well as music from 1900-1950, and from 1950 up to present date. This site also offers links to information on American history.
- Public Domain Music– Search for music in public domain. Original publication dates are listed and some lyrics are available.
- Lyrics.com - Search for a song by artist or group name. Offers a large selection of music especially of current songs.
Back to Top
Social Issues in Music
- Feminist Majority Foundation - Provides links to different music groups and solor artists that use feminist themes in their songs. Artists are categorized by music genre and some links provide lyrics. Additional links discuss the history of women in music.
- Social Issue Sites - As part of East Carolina University's web site, this page offers links to a large number of resources available on the Internet. Social issues ranging from music censorship to broad topics like multiculturalism and sexual harassment.
- African American Music– World Book provides background information on African American music and explores different genres influenced by their race. From spirituals to blues, jazz to rock and roll to rap, explore more about the African American impact on American music.
- Popular Music & Society - The online page for the journal of Popular Music & Society offers links to artists and organizations associated with music and social issues.
Back to Top
- History Happens - Click on Cool Stories to view songs and music genres including links to lyrics, songs, and background information that relates to events and eras of U.S. history.
- Roughstock's History of Country Music - For a more specific look, this web site is an additional information source for country music. It follows the evolution of country music from the 1920's up to the current country music that is being produced in the 2000's.
- Page Wise– This link on Music History provides a list of articles relating to different genres and their origin. Topics range from “History of The Beatles,” to “A Brief History of South African Rock.”
- Popular Songs in American History– Songs from all the way back to the 17 th century are categorized by the era. Music, lyrics, information, and history on the songs and the times are provided through links.
Back to Top
| Draft Lesson Plan | ITV Component | Topic Hotlist | Final Lesson Plan |
| Main | Project #1 | Project #2 |
Any questions? Raise your hand! Or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Page last updated